Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Jen the Good Friend

One of my wholly unexpected but favorite aspects of full time mothering is the close bond I have with what I lovingly call my “inner circle.” Jen is part of that circle. She is a vibrant part of my life. She helps me remember that I can be a good mom without sacrificing my intellect. Almost daily, she reminds me to check in on the New York Times, so that I can keep up with the world. Without fail, she uses her wordsmith power to have me laughing so hard that I can barely breathe. She thinks. She acts on her thinking. She inspires me to be the kind of mother I so desperately want to be. When I think of Jen, I often think of the quote by Martha Hughes Cannon:

"Somehow I know that women who stay home all the time have the most unpleasant homes there are. You give me a woman who thinks about something besides cook stoves and wash tubs and baby flannels, and I'll show you, nine times out of ten, a successful mother."

As Jen cleans her house, does her dishes, washes her laundry (have you ever asked Jen how she does laundry? Wow.), Jen is thinking of something besides her current domestic chore. She is solving a public relations dilemma for the Church (be sure to ask her about it). She is planning her PTA’s potluck dinner. She is thinking of how to explain to Walker the intricacies of his latest science experiment. She is mulling over extremely difficult doctrinal points in preparation for her Gospel Doctrine class. Jen keeps her mind alive and has inspired me countless times to do the same.

Yet, beyond all of that intellectual stuff, Jen is a true friend. She brings me a large Diet Coke when I just can’t take it anymore. She calls to tell me something naughty that she just did. She helps me solve my stickiest problems in a logical and loving way. She is incredibly discreet and never reveals to anyone the horrible things I say. She watches my children in a pinch, without hesitation. She brings me food when I’m sick; and if you’ve never had Jen’s food, you’ve never lived. She always answers her phone when I call. She does all of these things and more.

I just love you, Jen. Thank you for reminding what a successful lady is. I’m your biggest fan.