Saturday, November 22, 2008

Anyone who doesn't love her is just jealous of her

Happy Birthday, Jen!  As I walked into your party tonight, I introduced myself to your fabulous brother.  I quickly began to gush about how much I love you, how glad I am that you take time to be my friend, and just how much better life is with you around.  He retorted, "Anyone who doesn't love Jen is just jealous of her."  You're so amazing that it should be easy to be jealous of you, but I can't think of anyone who doesn't just love you, Jen!  I've decided that the reason why I love you is not JUST because you're smart, beautiful, capable of running a VERY LARGE country (and feeding everyone therein with ease), incredibly interesting, an amazing mother, and fun to talk to; but also because you have an incredible ability to empathize.  Somehow amidst all that you have going on, when I call, you take the time to listen, avoid judgement, and reiterate what I'm feeling back to me with more clarity.  You're willing to walk with me down emotional paths that are funny, stressful, or desperately sad, and I feel safe with you there because you've been there too (or at least you make it seem that way)!  That is the essence of empathy.   You are an amazing woman, Jen.  Thanks for being my friend.