Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Happy Birthday, Friend!

The first time I saw Jen was at a baby shower shortly after I moved into the Weston 2nd Ward. She was in the kitchen busily preparing food and working as if it were her own party (she wasn’t even one of the hostesses). Little did I know it then, but that was quintessential Jen – always there to help in any and every way. She’s taught me more about dedicated service than just about anyone.

My next encounter with Jen was as she taught Gospel Doctrine in our ward. I hadn’t even realized that there were two classes in our ward until I overheard someone say, “Wasn’t Jen Thomas’s lesson today incredible?” The next week I was there and was powerfully touched by her poignant testimony and real-life application. As she taught, the scriptures became so vivid and approachable. She is a master teacher and I will jump at any chance to hear her speak or teach. She is always full of wit and wisdom.

A month or two after my arrival in the ward – I don’t think I had yet really had a chance to talk to Jen much – at yet another baby shower, I was charmed by Jen’s witty repartee. I remember chuckling on the way home at Jen’s description of how she was the type of person who would be completely at ease in a nineteenth century drawing room, but had few other practical skills. This, of course, is completely untrue (as everyone knows, the woman can do anything and be in command of any situation from Youth Conference food and activities, to playgroups, to coming up with remarkable business ideas which she should seriously put into practice one of these days), but I love the fact that she would be completely able to navigate the world of eighteenth-century high-society with impeccable good-breeding.

I was thrilled when we were called to serve the Boston Stake youth together. One of the greatest rewards of that calling was my friendship with Jen! I’ll never forget rattling along the freeway on the way to a meeting in “Ruby, the Consecrated Car” laughing until the tears ran down our faces (I think “chargers” were the trigger there?). I learned all I could ever learn about how to do church food from Jen. I loved her spiral-bound notebook lists. Her insights were always amazing. I loved being one of the technologically-challenged “dachshunds” with her.

I love you, Jen! You are a kindred spirit. I love that you read The Blue Castle four (or was it six?) times in one week. I love that you kept Jane Eyre from Netflix for months on end. I love knowing that you also felt like throwing up after reading about just how beautiful Edward Cullen is for the hundredth time in as many pages :). I love how you handle the stresses of life with grace and humor and that you are a "sturdy Mormon woman" -- you inspire me to try to be the same. I love how my Millie included your Will in her drawing of our family. I feel like you are family. With you I feel like I can say anything and that you get me and give me the benefit of the doubt. You have such a gift for friendship and I cherish mine with you.

I miss you, my dear, dear friend, and wish you the happiest of birthdays!
Much love,
Amy
It is a tragedy that I could not find a picture with you, but I love this picture of Will and Millie and didn't know if you had seen it.