Thursday, November 20, 2008

Happy Birthday Jen! I'm glad you're turning 40...it's given me an opportunity to remember all the things I love about you, the memories, the laughs, the playdates, the yummy meals, etc.

Reasons I'm glad I lived near you...
Pasta Amatriciana (still in nearly weekly rotation)
Alex's very first playgroup (Walker and Zack)
"It is a wonderful thing to start life with a few good books you can call your very own." (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)...Sara's book shower
Teaching me what it means to be a visiting teacher (I still remember the heart shaped pasta you brought me in Feb...I thought of you 2 days ago as I dropped off a goodie to my gals)
Showing me what to do when your child swipes a cookie at the bakery (you buy it, and then throw it in the trash).
HOURS of park playdates
Making me feel better about the state of my minivan with the story of trying to get your van detailed ("maybe time for vacuum?")
Being a stalwart, non-fake-cheery, non-prying friend during my summer of loss
Instilling in me the desire to go to Italy (so glad we finally went, but wished you were there to explain all the art!!)
The Aristocrats
Teaching me to make homemade pasta at Enrichment
Stirring my curiosity about IKEA
Alex's first friend (and he still says, "Mom, when can we visit Walker Thomas again?")
Introducing me to Iggy's (still crave it)
Giving me a place to exercise my academic mind (when it still functioned at all...)
Telling me how to get Alex through Harry Potter 4 (it worked--thanks!)
Possession
Swooning with me about Mr. Darcy
Henry Bear's Park
In general, showing me how to be a mom, while mining Boston for all it had to offer.

Reasons I wish I lived closer now...
Food (shared meals, meals out together, swapped recipes)
Books (I will get you on Goodreads if it's my last move as your friend)
Your unthinking generosity
Your honest opinion/advice
Your unflinching wit (sometimes you just need to laugh so hard you pee)
Your friendship

But the most pressing reason I wish I lived closer...
I want to come to your party! I wish I could be there, but I'm sure it will be fabulous...just like the gal it's for.

Love Katie