Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Jen for President

I’ve been thinking about Jen a lot lately. Not so much because of the milestone birthday but because of the presidential elections. When I heard Sarah Palin speak, my first thought was, “My friend Jen Thomas could run circles around this woman.” For that matter, I think our country would do well if Jen were in the oval office. The dinner parties and Christmas decorations would be exquisite.

Not only that, Jen could outdebate most of the people we’ve seen on national television this year. She knows where the Middle East is. She’s even a former UN delegate. And she’d just get right down to Jen Thomas-like business and have the schools and health care systems whipped into shape. If only our country could be as well organized and run as a Jen college roommates reunion. And wouldn’t she look splendid with Mike and the boys in the rose garden?

If Jen never becomes president, I have another idea for her post-mother-of-young-children job: travel guide. Jen and I met on London Study Abroad, and we had so much fun we went back to Europe with friends after we graduated. Europe is one big story, from sleeping in a stranger’s family bedrooms after a mixed up pensione reservation to packing a piazza with the citizens of Florence while they sang Verdi’s Nabucco in a solidarity opera after the bombing of the Uffizi.




A favorite though, is our quest to see the Bernini sculptures in the Galleria Borghese. We ended up lost in an underground parking lot. We finally found a door and opened it up to sunlight above. Ahh, this must be the way. The door shut with a fateful clank, and when we climbed up the stairs we found that we were in the middle-- I’m talking infield--of a horse track. We tiptoed across the track and exited under the bewildered gaze of Italian racing fans. This doesn’t typify Jen’s skill as travel guide but as adventurer, all-round good sport, and fun travel companion. As travel guide, Jen was so full of info about European art, history, food, and all the other good stuff, we probably should have paid her.

Jen and I haven’t lived close to each other since college. I am so jealous of Boston friends who get to be with her all the time. But I am so happy with every chance I get to see her. She is such a great person to talk with about politics and travel, and also religion, art, books, (New England Mobile Bookstore—yippee), movies, getting a job, getting an education, husbands (esp. from Bountiful), buying a house, women’s health (ai yai yai), twins, parent-teacher interviews, spit up, and snot.

I count it an immense blessing to have Jen for a friend. She is kind and thoughtful, loyal and patient, witty and intelligent, creative and fun. She’s also forgiving, considering that I introduced her to mountain biking by taking her to the Slick Rock trail in Moab and on another occasion lost Walker in a museum.

I love you Jen and wish you all the best on your birthday, and wish that if our husbands’ (gotta get the apostrophe right on that one, and thank you Jen for appreciating my nerdy editing humor) career paths never bring us to the same city, then maybe you could hire me as a speech writer and the rest of the gals as cabinet members someday.

Much love, Sunny

P.S. Has anyone mentioned the Halloween story about dressing up like patriots? That is classic Jen.