Wednesday, November 19, 2008

If I could just live next door to Jen...

Jen and I met the first week of our freshman year at BYU. A friendship, that has had such a profound influence on me, that it could never be attributed to happenstance. Jen became the ring leader of a group of friends that I subsequently lived with for the next several years - before and after study abroads, missions, and many, many semesters in Provo. I truly attribute the fact that I still call 'the gals' my closest friends (despite our living all over the country) to Jen. Her loyalty and dedication to our friendship taught all of us what it meant to be a good friend and what the sweet rewards are for having such friendships in our lives.

One of my happiest memories of being with Jen was right after we graduated we went on a trip through western Europe. We met Jen in Italy, where she had been TAing a study abroad. When we met up with Jen, she was sun tanned and rested (I know Jen - it's hard to remember a time when those words were used to describe a time in your life, but it was you -I've got other witnesses), looking so good and so in her element. She chattered away in what to us sounded like native Italian, introduced us to the best foods to eat and hidden treasures to see. Nobody can bring a work of art alive and interesting like Jen can. Whether we were seeing a Caravaggio in a small, less frequented church or taking a tour of the vatican, when Jen started expaining the art, other people would come over to listen and start asking her questions.

Something that I knew back then, but definitely know now, is that it wasn't just being in Italy, it was seeing Italy through Jen's eyes. She has proven since then to be a magnificent tour guide and hostess in other cities over the years. The combination of her knowledge and ability to express her ideas and thoughts, make being with her interesting and fun regardless of where we are. That is why one of my tucked away and hidden desires is to be Jen's neighbor. Logistically, I'm pretty sure its never going to happen, however, I know wherever it was, it would become a much more interesting place being there with Jen. To be able to regularly process everything from raising kids to politics with Jen I know would prove to be informative, insightful and funny. However, there are many miles between Belmont and Highland, so if not next door neighbors, I am still imensely grateful for our phone calls, quick visits and the enduring closeness we have had for over 20 years.

I love you Jen and wish you the happiest of birthdays!

Love,
Hillary Pugh